This is where it all begins. A young purebred beauty, purchased from a responsible breeder, that will give you years of enjoyment with the added bonus of thrusting you and your family into the exciting world of purebred dogs and possibly dog shows and related competitive events. This baby will be a long time growing into an adult and during that baby time an owner will need to be extra vigilant and dedicated to all of the training and discipline needs that will be required to get this youngster through the oftentimes difficult maturing process. It is at this stage and onward that the human caregiver offers every opportunity for a puppy to be all that she/he can be. And further, buying from a reliable breeder of purebred dogs offers the added bonus of lifetime support and the experienced knowledge that will guide the new owner through each and every stage of puppy/adult life, training, and management.
But purchasing a puppy should be a well thought out process. So often the compulsive puppy purchase becomes an unwanted throw away as the months progress. This does not need to happen. By doing meticulous homework and research, a family can choose the puppy/dog that will suit them well and will meld easily into their lifestyle. Here are some points to consider BEFORE purchase that may help in the decision making process. Please think carefully before you purchase and always buy from a responsible breeder of purebred dogs!!
- What size dog should you have? A tiny house with a small yard will not suit a large, active, high energy dog.
- How much can you comfortably spend for a puppy purchase. There are all sorts of charlatans, eager to take exorbitant amounts of your hard earned money for a so called ‘exotic’ new breed pet with a catchy name . Beware!!
- Does your lifestyle allow you enough free time to devote to proper house training and regular obedience training so that your pet becomes a good canine citizen and welcomed in your community.
- Are you prepared to organize your back yard with appropriate and safe fencing. An avid gardener will want to protect valuable plants and shrubs from the ravages of inquisitive puppies, who might dig with a vengeance and ingest poisonous plants. It is considered poor judgment to tie a dog outside to a tree or stake.
- Keeping your dog clean and well groomed will be an ongoing issue. Again beware of the so called non shedding and non allergenic mixed breeds that currently are popular and considered as designer breeds. These are only mixes using two or more recognized breeds to create another. Often coat care and maintenance can become a nightmare, instead of the little to no care that might have been proclaimed by the seller. Most dogs shed their coats one to two times a year. Dogs require routine bathing and brushing.
- Veterinary care will be a necessity in order to have your puppy properly protected against various canine diseases. Mandatory spaying and neutering of canine pets will also need to be factored into the monetary outlay.
- It is extremely important to carefully consider the type of dog that will suit the needs of all family members. Temperamental qualities of the various breeds needs to be studied and taken into account. A house full of kids with a fierce guard dog on patrol might not be a sensible choice. The aging senior might be more suited to a small, quiet, sedate, lap dog rather than a strong boisterous type.
WE URGE YOU TO CONSIDER CAREFULLY BEFORE PURCHASE. ON OUR PAGES ARE A VARIETY OF PUREBRED DOGS AND WE INVITE YOU TO ENJOY THE PHOTOS AND TO READ AND LEARN ABOOUT THESE WONDERFUL BREEDS.
ALWAYS BUY A PUREBRED DOG FROM A RESPONSIBLE BREEDER. BY SO DOING YOU WILL BE ASSURED OF YOUR DOGS’ TEMPERAMENT, ADULT SIZE, COAT TYPE, ACTIVITY LEVEL AND YOUR BREED CHOICE WILL MATCH AN ACCREDITED BREED STANDARD.